Department of Ophthalmology was started in the year 1991 January. First eye Transplant Surgery in Malabar at Moulana Hospital.
The Dept. was one of the first in Kerala itself to start Keyhole Cataract Surgery (Phacoemulsification). Recently we have introduced the most modern cataract surgery technique with Infiniti PHACO EMULSIFICATION SYSTEM by Alcon which is one of the world’s No.1 phaco emulsification systems for treatment of cataract under the leadership of Dr. MOHAMMED IQBAL MBBS, MS(Ophthal), Fellow Shankara Nethralaya(Phaco), who was Senior consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Aravind Eye Hospital.
The highlights of the procedure include,
- Very small (2.2 millimeter) incision, no suture required.
- No injection or anesthesia required (only eye drops are used for pain free procedure)
- Day care walk-in-surgery: No admission required. Hospital formalities,.surgery & discharge all happen in few hours.
- 100% pain free
- Safe for every patient including :
a. very old age patients even above 100 years.
b. post cardiac by-pass, post angioplasty, uncontrolled diabetes, COPD, hypertension etc…
- No need for stopping ecospirin, clopidogrel or other antiplatelets
- There is facility for controlling diabetes prior to surgery after consultation with diabetologist.
- Surgeries are done on all days from 7AM to 9.30 AM (except Friday & Sunday)
- The surgeries are done under the latest Zeis operating Microscope-Germany
The other technological update at our department include TOPCON DIGITAL IMAGING SYSTEM on slitlamp by which the patients can directly visualise and understand their own eye abnormalities live on a computer screen. This facility is provided first time in Kerala for all patients and is free of cost also.
We also treat other diseases of anterior segment, ocular trauma, orbit and oculoplasty, cornea, glaucoma, paediatric ophthalmology etc..
The screening for glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy, retinopathy of prematurity is performed routinely. The surgeon also perform LASIK LASER (the treatment for correction of refractive errors) to get rid of spectacles.
The other facilities include:
- Topcon Autorefractometre – Computerised eye testing
- Contact Lens (Spherical, Toric, Cosmetic, bandage and all other types) fitting
- Prosthesis fitting after removal of Eye
- Zeis Yag Laser Machine for peripheral iridotomy for glaucoma and for lysing after Cataract (Posterior capsule opacification) after cataract surgery.
- Noncontact tonometer and applanation tonometre gonioscopy(assessment of depth of anterior chamber), 3 mirror examination, pachymetry (assessment of thickness of cornea) for glaucoma evaluation
- Humphrey Field Analyser for visual field evaluation for glaucoma and for neurological problems.
- Corneal topography for preoperative evaluation of LASIK and also for early detection of Keratoconus (conical projection of cornea)
- Plastic surgery of eye(ocuplasty)